Bloubergstrand is in the locality of Cape Town along the shores of Table Bay, about 20 km to the north of Cape Town city centre. Its name Bloubergstrand in Afrikaans literally means "blue mountain beach" derived from Blaauwberg, a nearby mountain. Bloubergstrand is mainly residential and attracts a large numbers of visitors. The beach at Bloubergstrand is a popular location for a classic view of Table Mountain across the bay.
In 1806, the first casualties of the Battle of Blaauwberg drowned when their boat was driven by the large surf into the rocky point at the end of Stadler road and it capsized. The invading British forces went on to defeat the defending Dutch forces and subsequently occupied the whole of the Cape Colony.This was a initial step in the major colonisation that then took place throughout the southern African continent.
Now a famous national monument, "Ons Huisie" (literally translated to Our Small Home) has a long and colourful history in the development of Bloubergstrand. The first dwelling of Frederick Louis Stadler. (Hence Stadler Road is the original street). Shortly after the Battle of Blouberg in 1806, he became owner of almost all the farm property that is now known as Bloubergstrand. The exact building date is not known, but a Thomas Bowler made a beautiful pencil drawing of the house in 1853. Hendrik Louis Stadler, the sixth son of Frederick Louis, was the owner of "Ons Huisie" at that time. His sons, Frikkie, Rozier and Johannes, were the some of the original founders of Bloubergstrand (the building is now a restaurant of some reputation).
The past continues in certain areas. Local licensed fishermen still use a small local design of rowing boat to put their nets out in Small Bay for mullet when the temperature and other conditions are favorable. They retrieve their nets manually, after which the fortunate locals buy this delicacy directly from them. A traditional way of cooking the “Harders” or Mullets after cleaning it at the waters edge with the seabirds enjoying a free meal, is to make a wood fire, put lots of salt on the external skin and then to “braai” or grill it to taste. The Mullet has quite a few small bones and needs to be carefully digested together with freshly baked bread or pap from maize, enhanced with a regional traditional jam. Sometimes another local delicacy, “braaibrood”, replaces the freshly baked bread. “Blouberg Braaibrood” consists of 2 slices of white, whole wheat or brown bread, on the outside, barbecued with onion, Mrs. Balls chutney, tomato and cheese on the inside. Streetnames in the Village of Bloubergstrand, since the early days, bear the names of well-known people i.e. General Sir David Baird, General Jansens, Commodore Sir Popham, General Ferguson and locals such as the family Stadler.